This program is perfect for...
What you'll learn...
This program's course work is designed to prepare you for CCLS certification.
NOTE* The Certified Child Life Specialist (CCLS) credential is the exclusive certification offered by the Association of Child Life Professionals. For more information, visit http://www.childlife.org/certification.
UCSB Extension/Division of Professional and Continuing Education offers courses that have been reviewed, earned pre-approval and are listed on the Association of Child Life Professionals Programs Offering Pre-Approved Courses or Academic Programs Offering Child Life Course
Our courses are a stepping stone to help you reach the next step towards becoming a CCLS.
The program requirements are defined in the Program Course Schedule. If planning to apply for an internship, please read: Does the Child Life program offer support for securing an internship/practicum?
Required 5 courses (20 units):
- ED X370.2- Child Life: Introduction to Theory and Practice (Fall/Winter/Spring/Summer) - 4 units (This course is taught by a CCLS and meets the six (6) required topics of study set forth by the Association of Child Life Professionals.)
- ED X370.3- Therapeutic Role of Play in Pediatric Care (Fall/Winter/Spring/Summer) - 4 units
- ED X370.4- Death, Dying, & Grief in Pediatric Care (Fall/Winter/Spring/Summer) - 4 units
- ED X370.5- Assessment, Preparation and Medical Terminology (Winter/Spring/Summer) - 4 units
- ED X370.10- Child Development: Birth to 18 (Winter/Summer) - 4 units
- ED X370.11- Pediatric Palliative Care & Hospice (Fall) - 4 units
- ED X370.12- Family Systems (Fall/Spring/Summer) - 4 units
- ED X370.13- Children with Special Needs (Winter/Summer) - 4 units
Courses are offered across 4 academic quarters: fall, winter, spring, and summer. For more information visit the Approved Academic Calendar.
- ED X370.14- Research Methodologies in Child Life (Spring) - 4 units
- ED X370.15- Child Life & Trauma (Fall/Winter/Spring) - 4 units
- ED X370.16- Child Life Globally (Winter) - 4 units
- ED X370.17- Challenges in Global Maternal and Child Health (Summer) - 4 units
- ED X370.18- Child Life in Non-Traditional Settings: Beyond the Hospital (Fall/Spring) - 4 units
- ED X370.19- Early Child Development: Birth to 8 (Winter/Summer) - 4 units
- ED X370.20- Medical Ethics (Spring) - 4 units
- ED X370.21-Adolescent Development (ages 10 - 19) (Fall/Spring) - 4 units
- ED X370.7- Child Life Internship (when requested) - 4 units
All courses are offered in an interactive online asynchronous format. Students are required to complete weekly assignments through GauchoSpace, UCSB's Moodle course management system. Students are not required to be in front of the computer or online at any particular time.